Monday, February 22, 2010

The Count Down Begins

Next week at this time the wheels of our airplane will have just landed in Abuja, Nigeria and thus we will start our 39 days working abroad.

At this point it's just a matter of waiting, preparing and tying all the lose knots that will be left here in New York. Don't forget to do your taxes before you leave! IRS why you trying to take my money before I go away?

I have to say I have learned quite a lot about Nigeria these past few weeks, and have a feeling I'll know a lot more very soon. And one of the big news stories that got Nigeria noticed these past few weeks, was the induction of their new President, Goodluck Jonathan.


Abuja is the capital city of Nigeria (not to be confused with Lagos, which used to be the capital). It's a small city, roughly the population of San Francisco (750,000) and smack dab in the middle of the country, just boardering the Muslim Northern half of the country.

photo

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible, as I am one of those forward thinkers I've been told. But mostly I want to document this trip and experience as much of the Nigerian culture as I can while working there.

These first few posts will mostly be about my packing and getting ready, as I discovered I could not find a comprehensive blog by someone who went through a similar situation, so I want to help any future travelers out there.

Please comment and ask questions as I am hopefully going to try to update daily with pictures and stories from Abuja...depending that is on how fast our "high speed" internet actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment