Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day Fourteen: Oh My, Nigeria or Beyond the Compound Walls

Today is the 8th day of straight 12 hour work days, and I’m feeling it. I was so happy to leave work and have a night out on the town…my first in the 2 weeks I have been here.

A bunch of us, along with some coworkers from Del York went out to some of the popular Abuja night spots. We started at Blake’s, which is a restaurant/bar with a stage and live band that plays all night. A bunch of amazing, and I stress AMAZING dancers line the stage and bust a move, even going to the extent of grabbing some of us and teaching us dance moves in front of everyone.

Some of the highlights were watching Alex dance and the Blake and Omar stage hump competition…silly Americans.

Blake’s also serves some great roasted whole fish that you just eat right off the bone with your fingers…we devoured them very quickly. Also very spicy…like most of Nigerian food, and not just like wow that is spicy, but like the oh my god I might pass out cause my mouth has been burning for 20 min straight spicy.

From there a small portion of us went to a dance club where I was taught to dance like a Nigerian woman…sort of, cause I mean I will always have white girl moves. Basically the moves involve a lot of hip movement while your legs bend in and out and your butt goes up and down…I think I need some time to master this dancing…

It was a great night/morning and ended with a trip to breakfast before falling asleep as the sun came up. Much needed, much deserved.

I love Nigeria.

**I have some great video of this night, hopefully i will be able to upload it later...

1 comment:

  1. You are going to break many hearts shaking that badonkadonk.

    Glad you are getting a little release. Love the updates and am anxiously awaiting pics/media

    ReplyDelete