Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day Twelve: Learning to Speak Nigerian

There are over 200 languages in Nigeria, the main one being English and broken English and then each region/state has its own dialect with Abuja speaking Housa. I have attempted to learn some basic phrases with help from Emmanuel, the building manager.

In broken English you say, “How fu?!” meaning how are you…the students love when you say this in the morning. Broken English really is a language of its own and very hard to follow…I constantly have to ask students to repeat themselves as I can never quite figure out what they are saying. I also love, “How be day?” meaning how’s your day.

I still need a lot of work with my Housa, but Emmanuel is keeping on me to practice with him everyday.

- Naquana = Good Morning

- Nowinee = Good evening

- Yakiki = How are you?

- Lafialo = I’m good

- Yaahki = How’s work

- Badamwa = No problem (which is my favorite to say)

The Nigerians definitely utilize the letter W.

No comments:

Post a Comment